Today we met with our home builder. We are planning to build a house, but it is mighty far away. It won’t happen until next spring and it is very hard to wait. I am not a very patient person. We currently have a deposit on a lot. Once they get the road cut in and the lots staked out, we have 10 days to decide whether we like it (and most importantly, make sure the house will fit on it). Then we either finalize the offer to purchase or let it go. I don’t want to let it go because land in the city where we are looking is minimal and sells at a premium. As I have mentioned previously, we drive our daughter 20 minutes one-way to school every day. We built our current home 4 years before she came along and didn’t realize we weren’t in the best school district. Our neighborhood is lovely, but the school district not-so-much. Therefore, we open enroll and drive quite a distance. We love the schools, so it is worth the drive. However, continuing to drive for several more years is not in my long term plan. Especially once she gets involved in after school activities, I don’t feel like driving 3 or 4 times per day. Twice is plenty! At the new house, the middle school is right behind the house. She can walk if she wants. Hallelujah!
Anyhow, we met with the builder to nail down the details of what we want. We’ve been working with them for a few months, but didn’t have a lot. We thought we had one, but someone scooped it out from under us. Now, we just have to wait for them to come back to us with a few design changes and the pricing, which is the part we are not very excited to hear. As we were sitting there, my husband was hearing a cash register clanging in his ears and watching dollar signs float in front of his eyes. Hoping the market stays hot and someone comes and scoops up our current house next spring once we put it up for sale. Fingers crossed.